Studying by correspondence means taking full responsibility for all aspects of your studies, including making sure that you finish the syllabus before your examinations begin, acquiring the prescribed text books, understanding the material, completing exercises, submitting your assignments on time, revising and registering for your examinations.
LSI College: The teachers and staff at LSI College will assist you in the following ways:
- Conduct a learning strategies course that will help you become effective in your learning. This course is conducted once a term at prescribed dates. The Learning Strategies course is conducted in a group format by one of the LSI College teachers. (Free to registered students)
- Private lessons with our teachers who are available on a Saturday on an appointment basis at R160 per hour paid directly to the teacher on the day of the lesson, before the lesson begins.
- Email support. Email your questions and the teachers will respond with 14 working hours. (Free to registered students)
- Marking of exercises. Bring in or email us your exercises for marking. It is important to get teacher feedback. (Free to registered students)
- Assignments. Submit your assignments on time for marking. We will return the assignments with feedback and guidance.
- Weekly newsletters.
LSI College will send you:
- The syllabus document which describes what work you need to do,
- The topic lists that lists all the topics you need to master for your examinations. These topics are listed by date to help ensure you complete the syllabus in time.
- Learner guides for your subjects
- Our book supplier’s details that have the list of text books you need to purchase for each of your subjects.
- Your first assignment. Assignments will be sent on a monthly basis.
- Your examination registration forms in August.
- LSI College Correspondence Fee of R5’000 (10 x R500) (Paid to LSI College). The registration fee gives you access to the teachers, support material, private lessons, etc. Fees are payable to Learning Strategies International Trust, ABSA Bank, Cresta Branch Code 516805, Account Number: 4052 3477 45, Reference: Student’s Name and Surname
- R500 discount will be given for full payments on the LSI College correspondence Fee
- Text books can be obtained at www.redpepperbooks.co.za
- Examination fees (+ R1’500 per subject (Price set by the British Council)) payable on the 1st August for the Oct/Nov Examinations. Exam Fess must be paid to The British Council. The British Council will administer, host and invigilate your examinations.
Grades/Levels Offered for Correspondence Students:
Teachers are Available on Saturdays during School Terms:
|Gauteng School Terms|
|Term 1: 12th January - 25th March|
|Term 2: 13th April - 26th June|
|Term 3 & 4: 20th July - 1st December|
Parents need to purchase their child's text books. A list of textbooks is available at www.redpepperbooks.co.za. Tel: 011 958 2474
Grade 10/11 and 12 Subject Groups
|Group 1||Group 2||Group 3|
Passing Grades 10/11 and 12
Students will be promoted from grade to grade if they have offered and completed the end-of-year examination requirements in not fewer than Five (5) subjects
- Achieved a minimum 40% in all 5 subjects,
- Please contact the universities for their exemption Criteria (Generally speaking, a student must achieve 60% for English, Afrikaans & mathematics and 50% for the other subjects)
We only offer the International Syllabus for students studying grades 10, 11 & 12. If you have previously written the South African Matriculation Examination and wish to re-write certain subjects, you may do so under the International Syllabus. You will have to enquire at the university at which you want to study whether they will accept some of your subjects under the South African syllabus and the others under the International Syllabus.
Pre-requirements for studying:
- In order to study the Grade 10/11 level a student should have completed grade 9
- In order to study the Grade 12 level a students should have completed Grade 10/11 level.
Registering with LSI College:
- Complete the LSI College Correspondence Registration Form.
- Pay the first instalment (R500) of the LSI College Correspondence Fee.
- Buy Text Books
- Start Studying